ooooOOOOoooo

ooooOOOOoooo

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Finished Jelly Roll Sampler

Well finally, here it is - The Jelly Roll Sampler quilt, all but bound. This quilt along was hosted by Moose on the Porch Quilts. I am so glad to have nearly finished it. I bought the backing and background fabrics but the rest was "stash". The range is Autumn Journey by Kansas Troubles Quilters and the quilting pattern conjures up images of swirling autumnal winds. I asked for wadding that would give a nice loft and a larger quilting pattern to maintain the softness of the quilt. I am pleased with the result even though the range is no longer contemporary. It is not an elegant quilt but I think it will be very functional.

I feel like I am keeping in theme with the US quilters who are well into their fall. Some of the pictures I have seen on their blogs are filled with those fiery colours of autumn. I hope to visit my sister in Michigan next year and will most definitely travel in the fall.

A few things I learnt while making this quilt:
  • Jelly roll pre-cuts are wonderful to work with and save a lot of time.
  • I will never work with unwashed fabrics again. Don't like the feel of the fabric.
  • I will try and use my fabrics while they are still current.
  • One easy block a fortnight becomes a large quilt top to piece together and takes longer than anticipated.
It will be ready to hang in our Bluegum Quilters' Exhibition in November but unfortunately I won't be there.

15 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh, Elyte, I love it, but I love samplers. The light background setting gives it luminosity!

Lori said...

What a gorgeous sampler quilt! Congratulations on the finish!!

Barbara J said...

That's so gorgeous ...

I really like the BOM or in your case the BOF concept ;) It makes piecing blocks so doable and quite stress free.

The quilting is lovely and quite elaborate on this piece.

FabricandFlowers said...

It looks snuggly. I like the colors you used. Perfect for fall. I put my jelly roll sampler aside. You inspired me to start pecking away on it.

Shirley said...

Well done Elyte, it looks fantastic. All the blocks sit well together and I am sure it will be well used and loved. What a shame you won't be there for your exhibition. I am excited that I may get to see you here though.
Shirley.x

Anonymous said...

Congrats for a quilt 'finish', sometimes function over elegance wins, and I'm sure you will grow to love it. I have to agree with you about unwashed fabric, I don't like the feel of it either - slippery - I always wash (even charms! in a small lingerie bag). Pity you won't see your quilt hung in the exhibition!.....Merilyn

Julia said...

It's gorgeous Elyte..well done on a beautiful finish.
Julia ♥

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

The quilt looks great! It is funny that even though that range might be 'old', there are probably new ranges in the same colours.

FlourishingPalms said...

Very pretty, Elyte, and good lessons learned. Thanks for sharing those.

When visiting your sis next fall in Michigan, plan to attend the American Quilters Society quilt show in Des Moines, Iowa. I'd love to meet you there!

Jill said...

I have been hopping around in blogland and found your blog. I love your jellyroll sampler, I still need to finish mine. I also participated in the 9-patch exchange, but I made the 6" blocks. I can't wait to get them in the mail. I noticed on an older post that you showed a photo of "Patchwork and Quilting" magazine. The quilt on the front is what caught my attention. My mother just finished a quilt like what is on the cover of the magazine, called "Joseph's Coat" and she hand pieced hers. I know there was an applique quilt-a-long going on using the same pattern. Do you happen to know how I could get my hands on an issue of that magazine? I would love to give one to my mother. I have enjoyed your blog and see that I follow several of the blogs you link to. I will have to come back. Thanks.

marina said...

I think your quilt looks lovely and warm. The colours reflect autumn well.
It will look lovely hanging at the Exhibition.
You make some good points in your lesson learnt. I prefer fabric unwashed unless it is very dark.

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Wonderful. Beautiful colors. Thank you for sharing your lovely work!

Carolyn in Des Moines, Iowa

marian said...

wow it's gorgeous..i love the design and fabrics:)

Oddbjørg said...

Your quilt is lovely! Wonderful colours.

Sue-Anne said...

Hi Elyte, Congratulations on the finish. I love the quilt and the beautiful autumn tones. Sampler quilts are always really interesting to look at.