On our second day in London we organised our hire car and then hopped onto the tube, like seasoned travellers, and went into St Pancras station to organise our train tickets for the next leg of our journey

I didn't get to see Big Ben but I did meet this charming Englishman at the station. Sorry girls, he doesn't have a blog.

The next day we started our road trip and travelled towards Bath. En route we decided to follow the signs to Bowood House and found this amazing estate, with a massive library, a vast collection of artwork, beautifully maintained gardens and lawns, a lake and it's own cascade (ie waterfall).

I felt like Lizzie Bennet wandering the grounds and halls of Pemberley Estate (but Mr Darcy was nowhere to be found).

The next day we visited beautiful Bath (in the rain) where we explored the remains of the Roman baths, retraced the footsteps of Jane Austen and wandered the many streets and alleys.

In one of those alleys we found the Country Threads quilt shop, with the help of my "this is not a quilting holiday" husband.

After two nights in Bath, we drove to a seaside town called Lyme Regis for an over night stay. This very pretty little coastal town was a favourite holiday spot of Jane Austen and was the location for the film "The French Lieutenant's Woman" made in 1981.

The same day we travelled up to Taunton to meet my blogging friend Shirley. Shirley invited us to lunch and we spent 3 lovely hours with her and her husband. After many months of blogging it was wonderful to meet and very generous of Shirley and her husband to welcome us into their home. Ladened with some lovely gifts we said goodbye to Shirley and Mick and continued our journey to Cornwall.

We travelled to Padstow where we found a wonderful bed and breakfast that we will call home for 3 nights. Here we are at breakfast on our first morning.

A visit to Rick Stein's restaurant is on the agenda.


8 comments:
A Jane Austen vacation! Fantastic! How fun to meet up with a blog friend. One question--has the food improved since I was in England?
Thank you for the photos Elyte and taking the time from your holiday to blog about it. It's like I'm travelling with you too. Just fabulous!
Hope to hear more, take care and stay safe.
I'm so happy for you, I hope you have a wonderful vacation! I love Bath and Cornwall but I think my favorite places in England are Clovely and The Lake District.
I was so happy to meet you and Keith this week. Hope Rick Stein's lived up to its reputation. How remis of Keith not to play Mr Darcy and emerge from the lake. Was it too cold? It felt like I was meeting an old friend.
Love Shirley.xx
lovely to catch up with your progress report of your travels. Looks like your are having a lovely time.
Thankyou Elyte, for sharing your holiday photos, how wonderful to visit so many beautiful historical sites. Look forward to the next installment.....Merilyn
Oh Elyte! Your photos are divine! Everything looks charming, especially Pemberly Estate. So glad your hubby relented to visiting a quilt shop. But the best part is about you and Shirley meeting. Wow! What a special time for both of you. It's wonderful to hear about your travels.
It looks like you are having a wonderful time and I am so pleased you got to catch up with Shirley (even though I am extremely jealous!). Keep on having a great time.
Post a Comment