This is the scenario - Friday afternoon, end of the day and the end of the working week. Summon up enough energy to crawl home, make a cup of tea, read a chapter of a book and inevitably the eyelids become heavier and soon I am dreaming the book instead of reading it!
Dinnertime comes and we order the fish and chips, delicious but nutritionally devoid of any value (maybe a little in the fish), and Friday night begins.
Re-engergised, the football starts on the radio and the sewing begins.
So many ongoing projects......
Farmer's Wife
Jelly Roll Sampler
9 patch swap
F.R.I.E.N.D.S. swap etc, etc, etc...
So lets do something totally different...

This is a quilt I made several years ago. Most of the squares were constructed at a Bluegum Quilters workshop - Strips That Sizzle.
At the time I was keenly watching Simply Quilts. One episode featured Judy Mathieson and her technique of constructing the mariner's compass. I thought it looked achievable and it was!

So, on Friday night I picked some of the left over pieces and made myself a "market bag". Every Saturday morning I head off to the local market to do the weekly shopping. I have my calico carry bags but I wanted a small zip bag to wear over my shoulder to carry my phone, keys, purse and tissues. This was the result of my Friday night.


This is just a larger version of the purse I made here, and added a strap and some inside pockets. I went to market this morning and the bag passed with flying colours.
Now back to all those half finished projects.
12 comments:
cute bag, love little bags like that for errands and walking.
just carry the necessities in.
isn't that mariners compass book great?
its on my list someday a quilt full of mariners compass blocks.
Kathie
Love the little bag Elyte...just perfect size to hold all you want and leave you hands free for shopping..
Beautiful mariners compass quilt..one day I'd love to do one..
Have a nice weekend..
Julia ♥
Love your little market bag!
Lisa ʚϊɞ
Hi Elyte,
I love your bag! Cheers, Jess
Isn't it just nice to, once in a while, drop everything you think you NEED to work on, to make and finish something? I have five quilts in various stages of completion, so what did I do Friday? I made a skirt! You go girl!
The colours and fabrics in the quilt are just beautiful! So much work in it.
The little bag looks super. Clever you.
A little rest and some inspiration can pick you right up.
What a beautiful Mariner's Compass quilt Elyte, you should be very proud, it is a great achievement. I've done lots of Foundation Paper Piecing but never attempted a Mariner's Compass, I think the curves scare me! Also love the use of left overs, such a handy little bag, love the fabric. Merilyn
Look at that beautiful quilt, all those points and great colour too!
The bag is a really nice quick project. Great size for dumping the essentials! :)
Hope your weekend is restful to garner enough energy for the week ahead.
WOW! That quilt is just beautiful. Your bags are very cute too!
I love this market bags. The colors are so vibrant.
Love,
-Samya :-)
Hey, guess what? I have that book too and LOVE Mariners' Compass. Lovely quilt and great use of leftovers to make the bag.
Love Shirley.x
The quilt is so fabulous. You do such beautiful work, Elyte....and the purse is perfect for market day. Hope all is well in your world. Later...mate!
Mary
Post a Comment