ooooOOOOoooo

ooooOOOOoooo

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Tea and Jelly Roll


I was suffering with a nasty cold this week end and unfortunately I missed my monthly Bluegum Quilters' meeting. But on the up side, I finally finished my daughter's tea cosy.


It is made from fabrics that my sister brought me from the US earlier this year. I would not normally choose these colours but when I saw my daughter's new orange teapot I knew where these fabrics were headed. I used the orange spotty fabric for the lining

I borrowed a ruler to cut the pyramid shapes and proceeded to piece the tea cosy. I didn't really enjoy the process at first but once I got my rhythm and worked out how to iron the seams I was chugging along beautifully. I quilted 1/4" inch either side of the seams to emphasise the diamond shapes.

And as the week end progressed and I was feeling better, I decided to make the next block in the Jelly Roll Sampler.


Things are now getting a little bit tricky. I wanted to use the burgundy for the corners but it didn't give me enough contrast and neither did the green. The black was chosen in end but I was about 2cm short. What to do, what to do?

So I did this......

Now that we have passed the half way mark favourite fabrics are disappearing and more care will have to be taken when choosing fabrics for the new blocks.

And to finish, a few images from The Waverley Patchworkers quilt show that we attended last weekend. They always have a wonderful show and sensational lunch and afternoon tea.


Afternoon tea for weight watchers courtesy of Missy Moo Cottage Crafts. That brown felt looked sooooooo chocolatey.



These tiny hexagons were hand pieced by Linda Crouch as she travelled in France while her husband was at a conference. The hexagons were slightly larger than a 5c piece ( or maybe a dime). It was very small.


This was a small quilt made from a Lori Smith design.


This one won the small quilt first prize.


And just another idea for using up scraps, and then double it!


There were a few shops in attendance and I only bought some Cocoa Express by Jo Morton and a friend.


And I have almost finished another UFO and hope to show very soon.
What have I learnt this weekend? I should stay home more often.

Enjoy your week,
Elyte

5 comments:

FlourishingPalms said...

Your tea cosy is wonderful! I can imagine how nice it looks with an orange teapot. Makes me want to become a tea-drinker myself!

Nice quilt photos. That two-sided quilt - Hmm, what's the name of that patch? - is wonderful! Makes me want to start hand-piecing. Gosh you've given me some great Sunday morning (after church, of course) inspiration.

Shirley said...

I may lose some weight if I just have the calorie free variety of cakes. They do look good enough to eat. Hope you are feeling a bit better. Don't colds make you feel so rubbishy. Like the new block and your getting round not having enough. I have just been trying to explain to my husband about my selvedge quilt and he said but isn't that what patchwork is - using up leftovers?!!!!! Great teacosy.
Shirley.x

Jo in TAS said...

Your tea cosy is going to match an orange tea pot so well! I love that black and white quilt. Hope your felling better soon.
Hugs
Jo

Julia said...

The tea cosy is gorgeous...Love the new fabric. Lots of lovely eye candy today Elyte,
Wow what an amazing scrappy quilt..yes amazing how much we can get done if we stay home.
Julia ♥

marina said...

Lovely colours in the tea cosy. Your jelly block looks great too.
Your new fabrics are really beautiful. I think we all wish we could stay home, I live for the holidays when I can be queen of the castle!