ooooOOOOoooo

ooooOOOOoooo

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Summer School

January on my quilting calendar means Summer School at Somerset Patchwork.
This year I chose "Quilt as you go Log Cabin"

Our teacher Linda showed us this antique log cabin quilt. She has some additional information about this quilt here.


Here is Linda's version. She promised to teach us the technique to make our own.


There was an alternative pattern to choose but I went traditional.

I had a bit of trouble with my cutting but Linda veered me back onto the right track and here is my first block. Love the results.


These are Karen's gorgeous blocks.


Can't remember who made this one, but it showcases more lovely fabrics.

Some revision after I got home to make my second block.

And all quilted with a few lumps.

My only rule for this project is red, blue and brown.

So the New Year has started with me leaping from one new project to another. Time to settle down to some finishing. Too much to do, can't seem to get to bed before midnight!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know what you mean Elyte and lots of gorgeous quilts and blocks,have fun with your new project.xx

Cheryl said...

There are so many lovely projects to do that it is hard to stay on just one! Your new project will be a winner and just think, after you have fun with putting all the fabrics together, it will already be quilted...too cool.

Sheila said...

I love the log cabin and your block is lovely , a very nice combination of colors , I am sure you will enjoy making this quilt :-)

Oddbjørg said...

Lovely block. I have always loved t.his pattern

marina said...

gorgeous blocks. i love log cabins and your fabric choices are perfect as always!

Susan said...

Lovely blocks. I like the traditional setting too and your fabrics suit it so well. Very clever to quilt as you go.

Every Stitch said...

Looks like you had lots of fun - and lovely result too!
Every Stitch

Christine M said...

Summer school sounds like fun! Your quilt is going to be lovely.

Fiona said...

lovely fabrics... the traditional log cabin is lovely.... hmmmm... I think I need to do one too!!

Hugz

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Summer school sounds like fun! Love your log cabin!

Julia said...

Lovely block, beautiful fabrics...just not enough hours in the day, is there Elyte.
QAYG is a great way to go with the logcabin...before you know, it will be finished and quilted.
Have fun.
Julia ♥

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

Very clever to QAYG it will look fantastic. Enjoy Hugs

Noela said...

My first quilt was a log cabin and I still love it to this day. Like the colours of your blocks. Hugs....

Maureen said...

Your tempting me to start a log cabin - oh, I must be strong and resist! lol Love your fabric choices. Small flowering prints for lights are a favorite of mine. This will be a gorgeous quilt. I stay up too late, too. Always wish there were a few more hours in the day!

Barbara J said...

Hmmm clever approach. Nothing like a traditional block set in a traditional layout. The colours are looking swell!

Shirley said...

I love log cabin quilts and you have made a great start with yours. With quilt as you go it will be a finished quilt before you know it. Hope you are managing in the heat and staying cool.

Merilyn said...

Just love those log-cabin blocks!!! I've been making some small ones too this past week, out of scraps, they are so addicting, at least you will get a fabulous quilt out of yours LOL!!!!

antique quilter said...

just beautiful, love the antique
log cabin quilts just warm my heart
Kathie

Jindi's Cottage said...

Summer Schools are just so much fun...really liking the blue/red/brown combo...you'll have a finished quilt in no time that that method, looking forward to seeing it all come together...

Unknown said...

Elyte ,you've done me proud. Your blocks are coming together beautifully! It was a fantastic class with lots of variations to the theme. Enjoy. LB