ooooOOOOoooo

ooooOOOOoooo

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Pincushion Swap and MSG

Oooops, life got busy again, throw in a few computer problems and days turned into weeks turned into months.

Recently a special parcel arrived. I was part of a 'Pincushion Swap' organised by Susan and I was very lucky to receive a much anticipated gift from Fiona.

A small parcel it was not!
Inside was this beautifully made pincushion with the lot!
Delicate little heart pins decorated a pretty wool applique panel with a ladybird for good luck.


A hexagon panel featuring a small needle case with the smallest little bee button I have ever seen.


Another side held a new and very sharp pair of scissors and my final surprise was a cute little pocket full of goodies in the care of a sweet little mouse.


Thank you so much Fiona. I assure you it is being used and has been shown off to all my sewing buddies. 

My swap partner was Sue. I joined 5/16" hexagons into a pear shape (Gail Pan pattern) and appliquéd them onto a linen background. I was relieved when Sue emailed to say that it had arrived safely.


Thanks Susan for taking the time to organise this swap.

My pin cushion was inspired by the quilts I saw at an exhibition of the work of Margaret Sampson-George and her students at Linda's barn in late March. 
Here is a very small sample of the work on show.


Beautiful baskets.


Lots of shapes in vibrant colours.


Two of the pears that caught my attention.


I bumped into Shirley's friend Rosemary who was visiting from England and Sue-Anne, also admiring the beautiful work on show.


It was a wonderful exhibition and we all left bursting with inspiration.
If you want more, there are some wonderful photos to be found on Broderie's blog here and here.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Elyte ,oh that pin cushion is gorgeous that Fiona sent you ,love it and I also love the pear one you made its so cute,what a lovely swap ladies xx

Cherry Pie Designs said...

Love your pincushion swap Elyte

Christine M said...

What a gorgeous pin cushion from Fiona. Lucky you! The one you made is lovely. I'm sure Sue loved it.

Sue SA said...

I do love my pear pin cushion and ironically I have that Gail Pan pattern! Love what Fiona made you, such a fun but practical pin cushion when your hand sewing at night, love the pockets!

Susan said...

Didn't Fiona do a beautiful job on that pincushion, glad you like it so much. Your pear is lovely too, I like the way you used the hexies. i would love to go to Linda's barn one day.

Helen said...

Beautiful pincushion, Fiona's work is stunning, !!

Julia said...

I love the pear pin cushion, it has everything you would need for any sewing project, take out or evening sewing.
Great post, I too would love to get to Linda's barn one day!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Both pincushions are beautiful... love the Hexie pears. Thanks for sharing those lovely quilty pics too...scrumptious!

kiwikid said...

What a beautiful pincushion...love it!! Love yours too Elyte, another example of your wonderful tiny stitching!! Lots and lots on inspiration at that show!

Fiona said...

I am just trying to imagine how it is possible to sew such tiny hexagons together to make that pear.... incredible.... I love it... and I loved making your pincushion too.. the main thing is that you like it!
Hugz

Chookyblue...... said...

lovely pincushions.............lucky you to get to that display........

marina said...

your pincushions sent and received are gorgeous!!
lovely to be inspired by the barn's display.
glad you've made it back to blog land again..

Barbara J said...

That's a lovely pin cushion exchange. So creative! A stitcher can never have too many pin cushions IMHO!

Shirley said...

Lovely post Elyte and beautiful stitching received, given and ogled. Rosemary enjoyed the exhibition and I know she was thrilled to see you and Sue-Anne again.xx

Merilyn said...

What an amazing pincushion, so creative and useful!!!!

Melody said...

This is a post full of delights. Thank you for sharing them.