This year I have set myself two goals.
One was to attend a class with Irene Blanck.
I will reveal the second if it happens.
So, last Saturday I headed off to Patch N Quilt in Gisborne for my class with Irene.
![]() |
| Irene's clamshell quilts |
The class was an opportunity to work with Irene on one of her projects. I wanted learn how Irene plans and makes those beautiful quilts so full of colour and lots and lots of appliqué.
Having many UFO's on the go already, I couldn't commit to another big project. So, Irene kindly drew me one of her little birds and at different times during the class, she shared her sewing secrets with all of us. I managed to finish my little fabric picture for a small needle case cover.
Irene suggested some hexagons as a finishing touch.
So that evening, at home, I started playing with some ideas.
There has to be a spotty border.
No final decisions yet but I enjoyed myself immensely moving out of my comfort zone.
And of course, there was the compulsory shopping.
Thank you Irene, and fellow work shoppers, for a lovely, lovely day.





21 comments:
ACK! That little bird with the hexie border is too adorable! I can't wait to see the finished project - might try to do something similar. The hexies must be REALLY small if that is for a needle case?
Hi Elyte wow what a wonderful class your bird is awesome,its good to step outside your comfort zone every now and then,well done my friend and i will see you tomorrow xx
I love your little bird surrounded by hexagons, Elyte. Nice purchases too.
What a lovely little project! The bird is so cute. I look forward to see it when it's finished!
Have a wonderful weekend!
hope you were able to learn a lot from Irene.
your little bird is beautiful and of course I love the hexies for the border.
enjoy finishing your needle case cover.
Designers can be so inspiring, I wish I could live in there brain for a week!
I just subscribed to her class in Nantes at Pour l'amour du fil. I think it will be great.
Oh you lucky thing. I'd love to do one of Irene's classes. The little birdy you worked on is gorgeous, it's lovely to feel so inspired. I'm thinking about a clamshell quilt too but can't decide on a colour and style.
It's good to step out of your comfort zone some times, you never know where it will take you.
Love the little bird....it will be a lovely needle case.
That was sweet of Irene to draw the birdie and you rendered it beautifully with fabric. And, of course, I love the hexies and the spotty border!
Your sweet little birdie is gorgeous. I love playing with little hexies too.
Sooo lucky to have a class with Irene, love the birdie project and your new farics look lovely :)
Great to near you enjoyed your class Elyte...the bird is lovely and so are the hexies...love to see it when it is finished......great shopping!!
lovely to go to a workshop... I love your birdie surrounded by hexies and looks like some lovely shopping...
Hugz
Thanks Martine, I am sure that you will enjoy her class.
It looks fabulous Elyte.
Hi Elyte - you got some beautiful work done at the workshop - the bird is so cute...
Love all the heyx's & the spotty border, it will become a fab finished item!
Lovely work there Elyte!!!! Such a gorgeous little project, well done!!!!
sound great.............she does some lovely quilts.............
sound great.............she does some lovely quilts.............
Oooh I have that pattern too. (The Liberty Bag)
Post a Comment