ooooOOOOoooo

ooooOOOOoooo

Monday, March 12, 2012

Sewing again

Oh dear, I started a new project!

I didn't mean to.


This project found me.

Joan (eighty + years), one of the elder stateswomen of our Bluegum Quilters group is guiding us through a sampler project teaching us the basics of hand stitching and piecing.


I couldn't resist the opportunity to learn from someone who's work I have admired for years.
She assured us that we could work at our own pace, so I said yes.

On Saturday the Annes and I had a 12 to 12 sewing day at Somerset patchwork.

My fabric samplings were hand delivered by Karen.
The range is Josephine by Petra Prins, Windham fabrics.


We did a bit of shopping.
Sampler fabrics, a blue paisley just for fun, EPP hexagon pack and 3" star templates.


And what did I sew in 12 hours?
1 and a half 3" stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I really don't know what happened but we had a very good time. Have a look at Karen's blog to see what the other girls were doing.

Next Friday is the Gathering at the Barn.

15 comments:

Sheila said...

Elyte , your fabrics are simply gorgeous , I am drooling and I love your stars and hey those small stars take time :-) It sounds like you have a wonderful instructor , lucky you .

Maureen said...

Thanks for sharing your day. Beautiful fabrics and a good idea to learn from someone so experienced. I just started a new hexie project and those 3" star templates look so tempting! Starting doesn't mean I have to finish, right?!?!?

Christine M said...

Beautiful fabrics Elyte. One and a half 3" stars is probably more than I would have got done! They look lovely.

Jeanette said...

Gorgeous fabrics. Love those stars. You did fantastic. Hugs,

Susan said...

Lovely to see you back. Your fabrics are beautiful - nothing like some new additions to the stash to get a project off to a good start. The twelve hour sewing day sounds divine - it's as much as about the fun and friendship as what you actually get done, and I think your stars look great (and so neat!).

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm glad you succumbed! It seems like it will be a lovely learning experience, and you'll end up with - when you DO finish it, of course! - a gorgeous quilt. My one word of advice? Persevere.

Anonymous said...

lol,you must've been having lots of fun sometimes it takes a bit to settle in,lovely stars though.xx

Shirley said...

Loving your fabric choices Elyte and I am sure that you will have a beautiful quilt at the end of all the hard work. Hand piecing is my favourite. Well done to your teacher for inspiring you to do it.

Cheryl said...

Learning from an experienced piecer will make this new project so worthwhile! 1 and 1/2 stars is better than none...you must have been having a grand time.

Julia said...

Lovely to see you back..and what gorgeous fabrics you chose...love them all.
I see a beautiful quilt going to be made with them!
Enjoy the lessons from a grand teacher.

Barbara J said...

I'm envious about your recent fabric acquisition. An excellent selection.

Let's just say you're a careful piecer! ;)

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

It is always nice to start something new! Gives a good feeling inside!

Merilyn said...

Sumptuous fabrics there Elyte!!!! Your new project looks wonderful so far, and how nice to learn some new techniques from an old hand, you did good for a days' sewing!!!!

Miriam said...

Those are beautiful fabrics!

Sounds like you (and the rest of the ladies) had a great time at Somerset.

Have fun at Gathering at the Barn. :)

marina said...

when you get found by a project who can resist! Love the fabrics. 12 hours of patchworking, must be great.