I wish that I could tell you that my blogging absence was due to a holiday on a tropical island where I was being pampered 24/7. The reality is that all work and no play makes for a very dull time. Life should be more balanced now and I have managed to sneak in another Christmas project for August.
I found a large, plain address book which would be perfect for my mother, who struggles with smaller print. The book was very, very plain, but now it has a new jacket. The little flower is a Vicki Tucek design that I got when I started blogging.

I don't know if I can wait until Christmas for this one!
Not much productivity over the last month or two.
I last posted blocks back in April this year. The projects have not been abandoned.
This FWS Cut Glass Dish block took months to finish.

And since then I have pieced Economy and

Evening Star. This project has been down sized to a lap quilt and I will need about 50 blocks.
I have 29 finished now.

One Civil War Block, Underground Railroad. I am working with browns, reds and blues. Not sure how many I will make.

I received these lovely little 5" charm squares from a swap organised by my Yahoo Small Quilt Talk group. They will have to sit around for awhile...

And while sewing I have played around with some leaders and enders.
These little ones form the basis for an Irish chain pattern.
The plan is, from this......

........... to this.

The girls have been encouraging me in my scrappy journey and give me lots of their scraps. Some of the longer pieces are finding their way into these courthouse steps blocks. I like using their scraps because I am working with colours that I would not normally choose. Still can't find that "thing" that brings all the scraps together. But I haven't stopped looking.

Lots of fun things planned in the coming months. Quilts in the Barn exhibition next week where we might be lucky enough to meet Jo Morton (fingers crossed!) and some blogging friends. A shopping trip with our quilt group. A sew in in Bacchus Marsh where Michelle Hill will be speaking and in October a Sewjourn in Shepparton with Marg Low (Marg's having a give away), Gail Pan and Barb Smith.
And spring is definitely in the air here.
All is good.
17 comments:
You're a busy lady! That journal cover for your mum is really wonderful. But I'm even more smitten by your Leaders and Enders project. Love the scrappy blocks contrasted against the white. I've been wanting to start my own L&E. Can you please tell me what size patches you cut for yours?
For not having much time to sew you sure have done a lot! I'm sure your mom will love her new address book. Your scrappy irish chain and courthouse steps look FABULOUS! They sure look together to me. Enjoy all those fun events you have planned. Sound like sooo much fun!
You have achieved a lot with your limited time and it all looks good. Your mum will love the address book and I love your scrappy Irish Chain. Another one on my wish list and I have a few blocks started for a courthouse steps quilt. So many quilts!!!!! So little time. Well there would be more time if I stopped dreaming and wishing.
My gosh Elye. You have certainly achieved a lot there. All looks great. The scrappy Irish chain is fabulous. The address book is lovely. Haven't had time to start the Civil War or the FWS. Actually still trying to decide what fabrics for FWS. Need to soon as i want to get her next book too. lol. Hoping to soon start them both plus my 3 other Civil War quilts. :). Happy Stitching,
Lots of lovely blocks to see.. and I do love how you have brightened up the address book.... and I love all your scrappy ideas.....
Hugz
You sure have been busy, Quilts in the Barn is going to be great, I hope you meet Jo Morton, I did some years ago and she is lovely.
Love scrap quilts too
Nice to see a post from you again after your work related absence Elyte!!! Your scrappy blocks for the Double Irish chain will be just fabulous Terry (from Terry's Treasures) has made one similiar so yours will look sensational too!!!! Also love your little Courthouse Steps blocks, I so love the scrappy-ness of them!!!! Have fun with your charms, I look forward to seeing what everyone does with them!! Looks as though your quilty schedule is quite full for the coming weeks, I hear you will be meeting up with Marian at Quilts in the Barn, should be fabulous!!!!
glad you have been managing some craft in between all that work. Your farmers wife blocks always amaze me. I love the cut glass dish block- all those little pieces. Your Scrappy blocks are gorgeous. I love scrappy blocks that have a bit of everything, they come together so happily!
Your covered address book is sweet too.
great post Elyte and i love your journel,great work,well done
Welcome back Elyte...you have started back with a lot done already..
wish I was going to Quilts in the Barn...I would so love to meet Jo Morton.
Courthouse steps is on my to do list..
have fun.
Julia ♥
Goodness, you have achieved a lot!!!
I love your Irish Chain blocks.
The Cut Glass Dish block is amazing.
I look forward to seeing what you make with all the charm squares.
You certainly made the address book look beautiful. :)
See you at Quilts in the Barn.
Gosh Elyte! Despite being busy work wise, you have still managed to churn out such lovelies! Imagine if you weren't busy at work?! :)
The journal cover is pretty as can be! And the scrappy projects are super. I know exactly what you mean about getting the right scrappy colours working together. It's quite elusive!
So many wonderful quilty happenings going on in your back yard! Enjoy the events and the company!
You have gotten a lot done. Love the address book cover. Great idea. You do need to take time for yourself. Have a great weekend.
I love the book cover, the flower is very cute!
The scrap quilts are going to look fantastic, but then I love scrappy things LOL isn't the leaders and enders a fantastic idea!
Some lovely work Elyte and I just love the address book cover and scrappy Irish Chain. Take care.
The address book cover is lovely!
Your scrappy projects are also looking great ... love the courthouse steps.
Enjoy the exhibition :)
You have been very busy! The address book will be useful as well a beautiful gift! You are working on so many different blocks, I love the scrappy irish chain idea, do you cut as you go or did you cut alot before you started? Great job!
Post a Comment