ooooOOOOoooo

ooooOOOOoooo

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A day late, and quite contrite

It has been a long month with very little sewing. The 25th has come around again and I was going to excuse myself from the "I Xmas Item a Month" challenge, but I couldn't do it. Surely I could steal some time and come up with something quick and practical.

So here it is........
a little fabric basket from a tutorial by Jodie Carleton of Ric Rac designs. We met Jodie on our trip to Dayslesford last month. Her designs are colourful and fun and we found her to be a great story teller.

My little basket is not as round as it should be but I could see it made up in Christmas colours and filled with lots of goodies. This one will be used all year round. It is 6" high with a diameter of 6" as well.

Although I didn't manage much sewing I did get time to visit the Patchworkers & Quilter's Guild of Victoria quilt exhibition in Kew.
This beautiful quilt was a stand out.
It was called Flowers for Dorothy by Anthea Bradley.

Here is a close up. All hand applique and trapunto with lots of embroidered detail on the flowers and petals. Just gorgeous.

I bought a few bits and pieces, my favourite being some fat quarters of Lynette Anderson's new fabric Scandinavian Christmas. There's a lovely piece of fabric decorated with little red toadstools. Very cute.


Now, here is the find of the day.
Anyone looking for a free project? Well here it is...

You can find it here at the Patchwork Pumpkin. We met Therese and her grand daughter Charlie who told us about this project.
But there are some rules -
You start with the pattern for the centre block and you are not given the next part until you provide proof that you have completed the previous piece.
You can't buy any fabric, it must be from your stash, but you can swap with friends.
So, this one goes on the ever growing list. (Sigh!)

And lastly, the mailman very kindly brought me my bimonthly samples from Somerset Patchwork and Quilting. These are from the Centennial Treasures range by Judie Rothermel

Quilt show this week end, so I hope to be back a little sooner this time.

16 comments:

Merilyn said...

OMG! the Flowers for Dorothy quilt is mindblowing!!! The amount of work and the quality of it is just amazing!!! I can't imagine how something like that would take to make!!! I love the free project by Patchwork Pumpkin, but I need another big project like a hole in the head right now LOL!!! I really have to finish up some long outstanding pieces that languish daily in my sewing room!!! It is a beautiful design and reminds me of some of the convict quilts from Annette Gero's book. I love that medallion look and all the pieced borders!!! Are you going to do it?
Enjoy the quilt show!!!

Valspierssews said...

The Flowers for Dorothy quilt certainly is amazing. The medallion quilt looks really good. I might take a look at that. Your new fabrics look nice too. What are you going to make with them?

Valspierssews said...

Forgot to say say 'good on you' for sewing the basket. I felt exactly the same this month :)

Anonymous said...

Well done Elyte on your FNSI finsh your basket is cute

Jo in TAS said...

I hope you've got some money left to spend at the craft show!! See you there!
Cheers
Jo

Maureen said...

Your little basket is precious! Yes, I can see it made in different fabrics and holding lots of different goodies. Is there something inside to make it stand up?
Flowers for Dorothy is a real stunner!
Have fun with your new fabric and at the quilt show this weekend.

Julia said...

The Flowers for Dorothy quilt certainly is amazing....what amazing work!
love the new quilt project...will look it up, but I don't think I could start another project just yet..
Enjoy the show.
Julia ♥

Barbara J said...

Your 'stick to it' attitude is working! Lovely bag, even lovelier with X'mas fabrics. Great looking stash as always, nothing makes the heart sing for a quilter than new fabric! :)

The exhibition quilt is amazing, imagine the skill, time and effort the quilter put into it!

Are you going to join the QAL? It's nice but I don't think I can find the stamina for a large quilt.

Mary said...

The flowers for Dorothy quilt is really cool. Love the little bucket. It looks like it would be easy enough to do. I have my embroidery done, and 2 other parts of the needle keep done. It is cute, I can see making this again and a lot simplier.(no embroidery)

Sue-Anne said...

Hi Elyte, Your little bucket is cute and what a beautiful quilt with all that applique. Love your new fabrics and would love to make the free pattern quilt but I don't think I would be able to stick by the rules! Might see you Friday at the Quilt Show?

Cheryl said...

Thank you for sharing Flowers for Dorothy...what an amazing quilt! So you tempted me with the free medallion quilt project, but I must stay strong...no more large projects until my UFO list is cut in half!!!
Enjoy the quilt show this weekend.

Narelle said...

I'm so glad you whipped up your little bucket ... well done! I can see one done in Christmas Fabrics filled with baubles or even chocolates.

I'm off to check out the free project from Patchwork Pumpkin.

marina said...

I have used Jody's pattern too, it's a great pattern to follow.
Love the flowers quilt and the free quilt, a bit daunting though. Your fabric additions are lovely!

Miriam said...

That Flowers quilt is exquisite!!
The Patchwork Pumpkin project looks very tempting...however, I think I have enough on my plate at the moment!

It was a delight to meet you in person on Friday! :)

FlourishingPalms said...

Thanks for sharing what you've been up to, and especially for the link to the Patchwork Pumpkin quilt. I hope to get started, though I had trouble "buying" (no charge, I know) the center medallion so I could get started. Looks like a fun project.

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

hmmm yes sometimes, just occasionally... it gets a bit hard to get a project out every month huh.
I lurve that quilt, it is fabulicious!