Last week the girls came over for a sewing day.
They wanted me to show them how to make little zipper bags that I have found on different blogs.
Annie quickly quilted this lovely fabric and made her bag which we decorated with a silky black tassel.

Jo wants to make these little bags for Christmas presents and has made three to date. She even tea dyed the tassel to match the lovely floral fabric.

I decided to play with colours and a new idea that I saw on Terrie's blog
.
I picked the central floral fabric and started matching fabrics from a box of 5" sample fabrics that I have had lying around for years.

I narrowed down my selection to these fabrics and included a light blue at the last minute.

I cut 2" squares and ironed them onto a fusible interfacing with a 2" grid, sewed the seams, added some thin wadding, a bit of quilting, a zip.....

I should have top stitched along the zip but will do that next time. Terrie's idea of adding the gusset to the ends of the zip gives a very attractive and professional finish.

I will definitely use this pattern again.
And, I have been doing at least half an hour a day (most days) on Ali's quilt.
13 comments:
Sewing projects with friends is the BEST way to spend a day! Love your patchwork bag. Fresh, fun and functional.
Great fabric choices, Elyte! I think I have that tan fabric at the top of your photo of fabric selections. It reminds me of the inside cover of an antique book. I love it and haven't cut into it yet. I love what you paired it with. What a great bag and I love the tassels!
I love the quilting motif you used on your patchwork bag -- and such pretty fabrics together, too!
Elyte, your bags are certainly pretty! I especially like the scrappy one that had you digging into your 5" squares. I have such a container myself, and cutting them into 2" squares is a great idea. Aren't scrappy quilts the prettiest?
the little zipper bags are really sweet.
Well done on your progress on Ali's quilt. No need to nag you at all is there?
I love these little zipped purses, I'm sure I've seen them on another blog, but cannot remember where? LOL I want to make one or two as well.....
Yours turned out beautifully!!!
Gorgeous little zipper bags Elyte..
make great prezzies, love your p/work one..
Julia ♥
Lovely little purses!
Cute bags. All of you did a great job. I love to make these little purses. It is easy to adapt them into any size. Good Job!!!
Great purses Elyte. Sounds like you had a lovely day stitching. Keep up the good work with the sashiko. It will soon be done.
Love Shirley.x
All the zipper bags are lovely. You put together a very nice fabric combination for your bag.
Fab work Elyte ... and I think you and zips are best buds now! I think the fabric make or break the purse. Yours is of course of the former.
Nothing like a day with like minded friends!
Lovely little bags..... I am still a bit hesitant about zips on small items.... your multicoloured patch bag is great..
Hugz
Post a Comment