I finally stole some time to make my next Civil War block, Texas Tears.
So in the early hours of Friday night/Saturday morning, when I placed my finished block on the design wall I frightened myself with this dark and scary block! Why could I not anticiptate this? Once my pulse had returned to it's normal rhythm I suddenly remembered that I had originally planned to use a different background fabric. Is there some higher authority interfering with my creative process? Now that's scary.
If this block, with it's dark brown dominance, doesn't fit in, it can always sit on the back of the quilt.
So, it stays as it is and we move on to the next one. That's what I get for rushing the creative process.

This eagerly awaited parcel arrived last week. I won Terrie Sandelin's auction , held to raise money for the Australian flood victims. Part of the prize was Terrie's book and she included some extra foundation papers. Another bonus was the pincushion top and base which I just have to sew and fill.

The second part of the prize was this lovely little quilt which I will hang on my wall and enjoy. Thank you very much Terrie.

If you are wandering aimlessly around blog land, pop in and visit my good friend Corrado.
He has just started a blog about cooking. Corrado has made many wonderful meals for us over the last thirty years and I can vouch for his skill as a chef.
Enjoy your week.
Elyte
11 comments:
The T is dark, but if you make a few more blocks with that same value, then it will work in nicely. I think the value variation shows off your beautiful piecing skill on a difficult block!
Lucky you! And a miniature quilt as well!
I think you block looks great, when it is nestled among friends you will not notice the dominance of the brown so much. I have surprised myself with some strange choices too over the years but when they are all together in a quilt it just adds to the character and charm of the entire piece!!! I hope you end up loving it's uniqueness! I have always yearned for Terrie's book on Miniatures, I may have to go out and find one for myself!!!
I think your block looks great too! I agree with Cheryl and Merilyn.
Congratulations on your win that little quilt is darling.
Happy Heart Day.
:) Carolyn
Congrats on your win Elyte, Love that little quilt..
I agree with the girls...perhaps use a little bit more of that brown in other blocks and it won't look so out of place.
Julia ♥
That little quilt is wonderful! I agree, if you use the dark fabric again in some of the other blocks, it will all look wonderful in the end!
It takes all kinds of blocks to make a quilt even shocking ones. Just like we humans, I suppose.
Lovely win on the auction!
I think your block looks fine. Congrats on your win - what a lovely little quilt! How little is it?
what a wonderful package of goodies. Love your mini quilt and pin cushion, I can picture the loveliness you will make from that book.
I think your civil war block is great. I don't mind the darker fabric.
Not scary at all Elyte! I like it a lot. The contrast is wonderful. I'm seeing four letters: "T" I'm sure you can come up with some symbolic reason for intentionally putting a four Ts block in your quilt. Good for you to contribute to flood relief. Your gifts are lovely.
so pretty
oh I like your block and bet you will be surprised how well it goes in your quilt.
thanks for sharing and I am a bit jealous you out bid me for that quilt!
Kathie
Post a Comment