ooooOOOOoooo

ooooOOOOoooo

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Meeting New Friends and Old Quilts

I have been trying to sew a bit lately in between all those family things that happen with elderly parents, kids and extended family. A few hospital visits, helping kids shift house and many birthdays to celebrate. Everyone is now in good health and hang overs have faded.

Life goes on....

On Sunday I was a tourist in my own town and travelled into the city by tram to visit the "Making the Australian Quilt" exhibition.
I bought myself a book which is a beautiful record of the quilts on show, co-authored by Annette Gero and Katie Somerville. 

I probably would have missed it, if not for the extra bonus of meeting up with Chooky and Carol who travelled down from NSW. I also renewed acquaintances with Annette and met Joy and Susan.
We shared a fabulous day together. After the exhibition we wandered down to the Block Arcade and then enjoyed a long and leisurely lunch before parting ways  ... until next time.

The exhibition was interesting and most enjoyable, to see the quilts from an Australian perspective.
I would love to make this quilt from the reproduction fabrics we have at our disposal today.
Margaret Harvey c 1890 - 1900
Or this little one to add to my collection of small quilts.
Maker unknown - Early Tasmanian crib quilt c1850
Or maybe this one
Elizabeth Keen c 1879
It should come as no surprise, that this is one of the projects that I am currently trying to finish.
Finished 1" and 3' squares
I did forget to share a little gift that Marina gave me for my birthday a few months ago.
A little mini, quilted and bound, made from one of her "Sweet William" blocks (pattern by Susan Smith). I have admired Marina's quilt blocks from afar and I am now very lucky to have one of my own. Maybe she will make me 19 more for my very own quilt?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Elyte ,I love the mini that Marina has made for you.
How good to catch up with chooky and the girls,thankyou for the show and tell xx

Sue SA said...

Perfect day out, friends, fabric and food! I loved the exhibtion and the book. I like the sneak peek of your little squares, lots of piecing there, cannot wait to see it in all its glory. Cute mini quilt!

Helen said...

Perfect day out, thanks for the pics. The little squares are looking beautiful as does Marina's mini.

Merilyn said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day...I think know of and saw a lot of those quilts, as there was an exhibition of early
Australian quilts a few years back that Annette Gero was instrumental in presenting and also a book. I saw that little Tasmanian Crib quilt which I just loved too, and made the top, still a flimsy I'm ashamed to say!! But seeing Australia's own quilt history is so inspiring, including Waggas from the Depression era....how nice to catch up with friends to enjoy such a wonderful exhibition and for sharing it with us!!!

kiwikid said...

Very nice you got to meet and catch up with friends, the exhibition was wonderful wasn't it...so which one are you going to be making??

Susan said...

I'm so glad you got to see the exhibition......and with quilty friends too. If only we could bottle the inspirational feeling we feel whilst there! Cute mini from Marina....I hope she gets your hint. Good to hear that everyone is well.

marina said...

So glad things have sorted themselves out and your universe is in balance once again
I think we may have just missed each other at the quilt exhibition... did you go Monday?
So much inspiration I loved the hexies!
I'm sorry Marina is unavailable at this time please call back later or ask to speak to one of our helpful staff that may be able to assist you with your quilt block enquiries....
X

Melody said...

I was there the same day with Christine and so was Marina. Shame we didn't run into you. Weren't the quilts wonderful.

Chookyblue...... said...

was wonderful to meet up with you and enjoy the quilts........so much inspriration.....great to enjoy the day with you too and hope to do it all again........hopefully less then 8 years I will get back..........

Cherry Pie Designs said...

What a fabulous few days we had...lovely catching up with you and meeting new faces...oh the food too!