ooooOOOOoooo

ooooOOOOoooo

Friday, January 16, 2015

Mini Milestones

I don't finish too much so I have decided to set myself smaller goals. This year I will call my small achievements Mini Milestones.

With luck, some of these Mini Milestones will grow into Major Milestones.

So, the New Year must start with a new project.
Not necessarily a large one, just a new one.
Fabrics were chosen.


Before Christmas, I found a tutorial  for machine sewn binding here. I was keen to give this technique a try on a new pair of pot holders.


I kept the block design and quilting simple and used wool and Insul-Bright for the batting.


I didn't do too badly with the binding and only missed one spot that was easily repaired.  I would use this method again on some projects. I think the secret to this technique is in the pinning of the binding before sewing.


A finish so early in the year. I think it promises to be a good one.


Mini Milestone #1

18 comments:

Shirley said...

Well done on your first mini milestone. Here is to seeing many more.x

marina said...

well done! they are very pretty pot holders. The binding looks very neat that way.

Christine M said...

Your little pot holders look great, Elyte. Pretty fabrics.

Fiona said...

great idea.. I like the idea of mini milestones and those potholders are so pretty.... I also bind small things like that on the machine.
Hugz

Merilyn said...

Nice little potholders!! I've never tried the machine method of sewing down the binding, I'll check out the tutorial.....mini milestones is a great idea, I've nearly completed my first mini milestone for the year, only one more row to sew and I have the main body of a small quilt which incorporates Christmas swap blocks, I'm so pleased with how they all look!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Elyte they look fantastic,well done my friend and i look forward to your lovely finishes.xx

kiwikid said...

Well done on mini milestone number 1...they are lovely!

Noela said...

That's a great idea as large projects all the time tend to get me discouraged. Might have to follow your lead. Hugs....

Michelle Ridgway said...

Lovely! Such beautiful fabrics...yum!

Susan said...

A lovely finish to start the year. Mini milestones are a good idea, it is about enjoying ourselves after all, not just who makes the most things.

Karen said...

I like the way you finished your pot holders....they seem to pretty to be used in the kitchen!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Good for you! They are beautiful. Love your colors.

Cheryl said...

All finishes are wonderful! Great fabrics. I have never used the insulated batting...have to give it a try. What great gifts these would be.

Barbara J said...

Mini milestones ... I like that. Lovely potholders!

Julia said...

Love the pot holders. Great start to the New Year Elyte.
Mini milestones is good...great to use up smaller scrap fabric.

Googy Girl said...

Definitely going to give that binding a go, love the pot holder, very cute

Sisbabestitches said...

Well done Elyte, these are lovely! It's a bit tricky sewing down binding practically blindly :) You did a lovely job on them :) Thanks for the link too, I'm trying lots of machine binding methods, til hopefully I have a nice repertoire ;) Btw I think all that wonderful help you gave Marina really ought to be Huge Milestone #1 Best of luck with many mini milestones :)

Tania said...

Hi Elyte, 'mini milestones' is a great idea, and I love your pot holders, really lovely colours. Thanks for the link for the binding, I would like to give it a try.