ooooOOOOoooo

ooooOOOOoooo

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Trip to Daylesford

I haven't been a very good blogger lately, maybe the moon and the stars are out of alignment or I have just been distracted with other activies of the income producing variety.

Last weekend I enjoyed an overnight stay in Daylesford with my fellow Bluegum Quilters. This regional town is 90 kms (56 miles) north of Melbourne. It is a popular destination for day or week end trips and offers shops, cafes, galleries, mineral springs and a taste of the gold mining history of the area.

On the way we stopped at a quilt shop in Ballan called Mill Rose Cottage.

It was my first visit to this shop and I would gladly visit again. I must mention they have a restaurant next door which is also worth a return visit!

We were spoilt with rows of gorgeous fabrics of all varieties

and beautiful work adorning the walls.

I liked this one with those little 1/2" squares assembled within those diamonds.

Next to the fabric room there was a large, recently renovated creative space with lots of natural light.

and a gorgeous bathroom.

After Ballan, we headed to Gail's Patchwork shop in Ballarat. After driving down this long driveway you will find a bluestone building full of a variety of treasures.




Then we headed off to Daylesford where I forgot to take photos. We enjoyed an enjoyable evening meal together and the next day we explored the township - browsing, lunching and shopping and then we headed home in the early hours of the afternoon.

Here is a small sample of what I bought - templates, some Moda wool and one piece of a selection of fabrics.

If any fellow bloggers feel the need to visit Melbourne I would be more than happy to take you visit some of these delightful destinations.

I participated in a needle case swap with my Small Quilt Talk group. The case is finally finished and my parcel has been sent to Carla in North Dakota.


Next month a few of us will be returning to Daylesford for a "Craft Experience" being hosted by Threadneedle Craft shop. Anyone else attending this event on the 5th of June?

16 comments:

FlourishingPalms said...

How nice to see the shops you visited, and it's so much fun for me to see Gail's Patchwork...again! Yes, I've been there! Too bad I didn't know you then. It would have been nice to share it with a friend instead of browsing alone, while hubby waited outside.

Robyn said...

WOW I'd like to move in to that shop

Shirley said...

Lovely show and tell Elyte. Sounds like you had a great time with your friends.

marina said...

those shops look beautiful. Daylesford is such a lovely place too. Might have to con hubby to go there for a drive soon, I didn't know those lovely places existed out that way!
If you organise another excursion down there .........

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Thank you Elyte for the tours of these lovely quilt shops! I can see why you had such a fun time with your friend.

Carolyn :)

Merilyn said...

What lovely pictures and wonderful quilt shops!!! I have been to Daylesford and can attest to its charm, it's cosy little tea-rooms, and all the gorgeousness of the little shops of craft and creative treasures - what a delicious couple of days, so good for the soul!!!! Your little purchases look wonderful too Elyte!!! What have you got in mind for those lovely pieces of wool fabric????LOL!

Cheryl said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip. I have the pattern for the quilt with the little squares in the diamonds. On my list for someday! We have similiar tastes. The needlecase swap looks like it was a great success...wish I had participated.

Julia said...

Sounds like a great trip Elyte..
The wool fabric looks nice..I'm trying hard not to be tempted..
Julia ♥

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

what a wonderful trip Elyte! Sounds like fun had by all, and I can see why, great shops!!

Barbara J said...

I just love reading about your travels, even if it is a short one. Those quilts shops are just so inviting for me and my plastic! And the wool stash? Like Merilyn ... I AM curious ... :)

Sue-Anne said...

Hi Elyte, Looks like you had a fantastic time away with the girls! Love that pile of wool you came home with.

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Isn't Gails Patchwork Shop beautiful! I went there about 8 years when I had first started quilting and I still dream about going back!
Sounds like a great weekend, I love Daylesford too!

Valspierssews said...

Mill Rose Cottage looks great. I bought a roll of freezer paper from them online recently and got a brochure. I love all your purchases. It sounds like a great day.

Maureen said...

Thanks for the shop tour. Sounds like you all have a wonderful trip. Always good to spend time with friends.

Cheryll said...

You have my mouth watering.... so much yummy fabric.... wish I could have been there! :)

Gina E. said...

Hi Elyte, I found you on Julia's Place and having some spare time on this grey old Melbourne day, I decided to visit some blogs. So glad I found you - lovely blog! I'll be back to visit. I would love to go on your next trip to Daylesford. I've been nagging my hubby to go there for years, but we always seem to end up somewhere else :-(
Email me direct (or leave a comment on my blog) with details of the trip on 5th June.
Cheers
Gina in Eltham.